Degree exam (tesi di laurea)
To be admitted to the final examination, students must develop an original thesis under the supervision of a professor or tutor. This activity is known as internato di laurea or degree internship.
Training activities (internato di laurea) for the preparation of the thesis
18 credits are awarded for thesis preparation in university clinical structures or biology institutions. This student activity is known as internato di laurea or degree internship. Students intending to carry out their degree internship within a specific structure must submit a formal request to the Director of that structure together with a curriculum vitae (i.e. a list of exams passed, marks, optional attended activities, training periods in laboratories or clinics or any other activity performed for training purposes) at least 6 months before the thesis discussion. After consultation with colleagues and having ascertained the availability of positions, the Director of the structure approves the request and assigns the responsibility for monitoring and certifying the activities carried out by the students to a Tutor, where possible specified by the student.
To be eligible to take the Degree exam, students must:
- have followed all the courses and have passed all the exams;
- have obtained a total of 360 credits in the course of the six years (for a total of 5500 hours);
- have delivered to the Segreteria Studenti a) an application to the Rector at least 6 months before the thesis session; b) an electronic and printed (and signed) copy of the thesis at least 30 days before the Degree session.
Degree Exams are held in the summer, fall and special “extraordinary” sessions.
Final Degree mark / Degree thesis discussion
The final result is based on exam marks plus the presentation of a project or dissertation before a Board of Examiners.
Currently, the final score of the Degree in Medicine and Surgery, following the thesis defense, is determined by the following sum:
- Base: simple arithmetic average of up to 36 exams (pass/fail not included). The result is multiplied by 110 and divided by 30: up to 110 points.
- Evaluation: Thesis evaluation and discussion (evaluation of the type of thesis, research quality, presentation, mastering of topic and ability in discussion process): up to 7 points.
- Reward: Parameters selected by local board (meeting graduation deadline, number of cum laude accumulated, participation at international exchange programs, participation to Progress Test, etc.): up to 7 points.
- The pass mark is 66; students who obtain full marks (110) may also be awarded the distinction “summa cum laude” (110 e lode)(for the most deserving students).
After degree (Laurea)
After the degree, medicine graduated have to pass an examination (both theorical and practical) in order to get the right to practise the medical profession (abilitazione). The Diploma di abilitazione all’esercizio della medicina e chirurgia (diploma conferring the right to practise medicine and surgery) is awarded by the State Examining Commission of Italy.