DUE TO THE COVID PANDEMIC WE STRONGLY SUGGEST TO APPLY FOR THE NATIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM. THIS ENROLLMENT IS MANDATORY STARTING FROM THE A.A. 2021-2022.
Health care for international students
Italy has a national health system called “Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN)”, which is divided into Aziende Unità Sanitarie Locali (AUSL).
Students with European Union citizenship (EU students)
– If you have been a registered resident in Italy for at least 5 years, you can apply to your Local Council for the “Attestato di Soggiorno Permanente” (Permanent Residence Certificate), which entitles you to enroll in the Italian National Health Service (SSN) and to choose a general practitioner, for an indefinite period of time.
– If you have the E106/E109/S1 form issued by your country of origin, you can enroll in the Italian National Health Service (SSN) and choose a general practitioner, for the time period indicated on the application form.
– If you are not entitled to free registration with the Italian National Health Service (SSN), but you have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)(TEAM) from your country of origin, you may receive all the healthcare services you require, such as occasional visits from general practitioners and specialist outpatient services.
N.B. With your EHIC (TEAM), you can go directly to a general practitioner (also known as a family doctor), choosing one from the list of approved doctors available at https://www.salutelazio.it/
All costs are charged directly to your insurance company.
If you have not been able to use your EHIC, please check whether you can ask your insurance company to reimburse your medical expenses. Please keep your receipts of payment and health documentation.
For some specialized health services, a contribution (‘ticket’) is required to cover part of the cost of the service. For dental treatment, the Italian National Health Service (SSN) only provides diagnostic and emergency services.
– If you are not entitled to free registration with the Italian National Health Service (SSN), you can register voluntarily with the Italian National Health Service (SSN) and choose your general practitioner, by paying an annual flat-rate contribution, which is valid for a calendar year (expiring on 31 December). In these cases, you must self-certify your status as a student.
– In addition, as an alternative to voluntary registration with the Italian National Health Service (SSN), you can take out a private health insurance policy for the duration of your study course or mobility, which covers all risks. If you have private health insurance, you can go to any general practitioner. If you must see a specialist, you can choose which doctor you want to see directly, possibly following the advice of your general practitioner. You must pay for the medical care you receive from both your general practitioner and your specialist, but you can then ask your insurance company to reimburse you.
N.B. Private health insurance policies:
– do not require any form of registration with the SSN and you do need to choose a general practitioner;
– generally require the student to pay their medical costs and then obtain reimbursement from the insurance company. When you buy a policy, check the methods and limits of reimbursement carefully. Please, remember that the medical expenses to be paid in advance may be considerable, for example in cases of hospitalization. It is therefore advisable to check in advance, by contacting your insurance company, whether the type of benefit you need is reimbursable.
Students with non-European Union citizenship (non-EU students)
– You can voluntarily enroll in the Italian National Health Service (SSN) and choose a general practitioner, by paying an annual flat-rate contribution, which is valid for a calendar year (expiring on 31 December), or you can maintain your right to compulsory enrolment, should this be foreseen in legislation.
– You can take out a private health insurance policy for the duration of your study course or mobility, which covers all risks. If you have taken out private health insurance, you can go to any general practitioner. If you must see a specialist, you can choose which doctor you want to see directly, possibly following the advice of your general practitioner. You must pay for the medical care you receive from both your general practitioner and your specialist, but you can then ask your insurance company to reimburse you.
How you can enroll voluntarily in the National Health Service as a student:
For those who apply for or already have a residence permit for study purposes, the cost of registration is 149.77 euros per year. Enrolment is carried out for one by calendar year only (e.g. from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2021) and it is not possible to obtain any discounts for shorter periods.
It is possible to pay membership for the current year and also for the whole of the following calendar year. With this option, you are entitled to health coverage for one academic year, which is useful for students who, for example, arrive in September and intend to apply for a one-year study permit.
The fee of €149.77 does not provide cover for other family members.
– go to a Post Office, ask for a blank postal order and fill it in paying attention to the following points:
- the form must be registered to: c/c postale 370007 to: Tesoreria Provinciale dello Stato, Regione Lazio; causale: “iscrizione al Servizio Sanitario Nazionale anno XXXX”.
- you must indicate the year of reference for enrolment in the SSN, for example: Voluntary enrolment for students 2021;
- if you want to enroll for two consecutive years (e.g. 2021 and 2022), you must fill in and pay a different form for each year;
– pay the annual fee of €149.77 for each year of enrolment at the Post Office and keep your receipts of payment;
– make a copy of your receipts of payment and attach them to your application for the first issue or renewal of your residence permit;
– after having sent your application for a residence permit, go immediately to an AUSL office that has a CUP-Health Registry service and take with you:
- your receipt of payment for 149.77 euros;
- your receipt which demonstrates you have sent your application for a residence permit (or the residence permit itself if you have already obtained one);
- your passport.
At the CUP, you will be asked to choose a general practitioner and your healthcare cover will be activated. Please check the expiry date of your cover.
Please note: payment alone does not activate your healthcare cover! You must complete your enrolment at an AUSL office and choose a general practitioner.
What does enrolment in the SSN entitle you to?
When enrolling in the National Health Service, you must choose a general practitioner, whose name appears on your health card. This doctor will be at your disposal free of charge.
Registration entitles you, in the same way as an Italian citizen, to all the services provided by the SSN in Italy.
Your personal health card entitles you to receive the following services
– access to a family doctor
– free hospitalization at public and contracted hospitals
– pharmaceutical assistance
– general medical examinations in an outpatient clinic
– specialist medical examinations
– home visits
– blood tests
– ultrasound scans
– rehabilitation and prosthetic care
– other services foreseen as essential healthcare
Last Updated on 16/02/2023