Specialization schools

Notice of CTO scholarships proposed by the faculty for preparation for the access tests to the specialization school


Specialization (or Specialty) Schools (Scuole di specializzazione) provide skills for particular professional activities, mostly in medical areas. These schools enable graduates to practice chosen professions and to use the title of specialista (specialist). They are devised to provide students with knowledge and abilities required for highly qualified the professions (e.g., cardiology, oncology). Admission usually requires students to obtain a specific laurea magistrale or laurea magistrale a ciclo unico (single cycle degree)(or a comparable foreign degree) and is governed by a competition, as each Specialization School has a limited number of places. Applicants may be of any age or citizenship, but must have the requirements stated in the corresponding call for admission. Course length varies in relation to subject fields.

Resident physicians or residents (“medici in formazione” or “specializzandi” in Italian) are licensed doctors who have internships in University-owned hospitals (or in other hospitals/services in agreement with Universities), under the supervision of tutors belonging to medical staffs of these hospitals (or services), following programs fixed by law.  All residents get their salaries by the Italian Ministry of University; some by Regional Administrations.

Training programs are divided into three main areas. – medical – surgical – of clinical services  Programs are 5 years long, except General Surgery (6 years).

Specialization Schools in Medicine and Surgery

Access to these schools is reserved to graduates in Medicine and Surgery.

  • Medical programs: – Allergology and clinical immunology – Cancer medicine – Cardiology – Clinical Psychology – Community medicine – Dermatology – Endocrinology – Gastroenterology – Geriatrics -Hematology -Infectious diseases -Internal medicine -Nephrology -Neurophysiopathologist -Neurology -Pediatric psychiatry -Pediatrics -Pneumology -Rheumatology -Sports medicine -Tropical medicine.
  • Surgical programs: – Chest Surgery – Ear Surgery – Heart Surgery – General Surgery – Maxillo-Facial Surgery – Pediatric Surgery – Plastic Surgery – Neurosurgery – Obstetrics and Gynecology -Ophthalmology -Orthopedics -Urology -Vascular Surgery.
  • Clinical services programs: – Anesthesiology – Audiology – Clinical Biochemistry – Clinical Pathology – Hygiene and Preventive Medicine – Legal Medicine – Medical Genetics -Medical Pharmacology -Medical Statistics -Medical Toxicology -Microbiology and Virology -Nuclear Medicine -Nutrition Sciences -Occupational Medicine -Pathology -Radiology -Radiotherapy -Rehabilitation.

Resident employment contracts

Salary about €25,000 per year (University taxes secluded) – 38 hours weekly – 30 vacation days per year.

Sickness, maternity and pregnancy allowances are guaranteed.

Residents are forbidden to work as doctors in other hospital or services (either public or private), except for: – On-call doctor (Guardia Medica) shifts during holidays, nights and weekends.

Other Areas

  • Specialization School in Clinical Biochemistry
  • Specialization School in Applied Pharmacology
  • Specialization School in Hospital Pharmacology
  • Specialization School in Microbiology and Virology
  • Specialization School in Clinical Pathology
  • Specialization School for the Legal Professions.

Applying for a Specialization School

To apply to a Specialization School candidate must hold the specific qualification indicated by the competition announcements.

Non-EU citizens resident abroad must follow a pre-application procedure, while candidates to Medical Specialization School, who have already been awarded an Italian ministerial scholarship through applying to the Italian embassies, may compete for specially reserved places.


Recognition of Academic Title Obtained Abroad (to apply for entrance call)

Pursuant to Act No 148 of 11 July 2002 ratifying and implementing the Lisbon Convention of 11 April 1997 universities are competent as far as recognition of study cycles, study terms abroad and foreign academic qualifications are concerned. Such recognition enables access to higher education, the pursuit of University studies and the award of Italian university degrees. Universities exert this competence within their autonomy and in accordance with relevant rules, unless otherwise stated in bilateral agreements.

A recognition request can be submitted by EU and non-EU citizens legally residing in Italy pursuant to Article 39(5) of Legislative Decree No 286 of 1998 and by non-EU citizens resident abroad holding a foreign academic title.
Recognition of foreign academic titles for purposes other than those hereinabove (e.g. open competitions or access to regulated professions) shall be sought with other government administrations. For more information about the recognition process please read carefully the Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence (Cimea) website (http://www.cimea.it/).

Documents to be submitted

  1. request form with revenue stamp (see attachment below) addressed to the Rector and applying for foreign academic title recognition; the corresponding academic title at the University of Rome “Tor Vergata” must be specified;
  2. 2 copies of foreign degree title to be translated and legalized by an Italian Embassy or Consulate in the country of issue and completed with a Declaration of Value;
  3. 2 copies of foreign academic title for which recognition is asked, to be translated and legalized by an Italian Embassy or Consulate in the country of issue and completed with a Declaration of Value;
  4. 2 copies of degree certificate with a list of exams, grades and class hours issued by the foreign university, to be translated and legalized by the competent Italian Embassy or Consulate;
  5. translation of official curricula for all training activities carried out by the students, issued by the foreign university on headed paper and with its original stamp and signature
  6. copy of identity document; copy of residence permit (for non-EU citizens only);
  7. fee payment receipt issued by the Foreign Student Office.

Where to submit your documentation:

EU citizens and legally resident non-EU citizens shall submit their documentation to the Foreign Student Office

Non-EU citizens residing abroad shall submit all documentation to the competent Italian Embassy or Consulate;

Should there be no bilateral agreements on academic title equivalence, the competent Academic Bodies shall rule over the recognition request and grant partial or full recognition (equivalence) of academic titles.
If partial recognition is granted, applicants can skip the first year and enroll in a degree deemed equivalent to the one taken abroad (‘abbreviazione di corso’). Hence, exams can be completed and a final dissertation can possibly be written and discussed. In such case an original copy of all academic documentation must be submitted.
If full recognition is granted, applicants will be awarded an Italian academic qualification corresponding to the one achieved abroad. This process ends once a Rector’s Decree is issued and the competent Academic Body’s decision enters into force. In order to obtain their parchments, students must submit an application to the Foreign Student Office and pay all relevant fees.

Last Updated on 29/01/2024