- Family name: Pica
- First name: Francesca – Date of birth: 18 September 1959
- Nationality: Italian
- Education and training:
1983 MD with full graduating marks, Faculty of Medicine, University Sapienza, Rome, Italy
1983 Professional Licence of Physicians-Surgeon, Italian State-Examination
1985-1989 PhD in Experimental Medical Microbiology, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
1991 Specialization in Infectious Diseases, University Sapienza, Rome, Italy
- Membership of Professional Bodies and Scientific Societies:
– Order of Physicians-Surgeons and Dentists, Rome, Italy
– SIM (Italian Society of Microbiology);
– SIVIM (Italian Society of Medical Virology);
– CIFAPPS (Interdepartmental Centre on Training, Upgrading and Promotion of Health Professions, University of Rome Tor Vergata)
- Present position: Associate Professor of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Department of Experimental Medicine and Surgery, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
- Professional experience:
Since 2002: Associate Professor of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology (SSD MED/07, at present 06/A3), at the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
From 1995 to 2002: Assistant professor of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology (SSD MED/07, at present 06/A3), at the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
From 1989 to 1995: Researcher at the Institute of Experimental Medicine, National Council of Research (CNR), Rome, Italy
Professor of Microbiology and Virology in the following Degree Courses of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy:
– Microbiologia (Corso di Laurea in Medicina e Chirurgia – Italiano)
– Microbiology (Degree in Medicine and Surgery – English)
– Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology (Degree in Biomedical Laboratory Technician)
– Microbiology in the C.I. of Pathophysiology and General Pathology (Degree in Nursing)
– Microbiology in the C.I. of Pathophysiology and General Pathology (Degree in Science Midwifery)
– Microbiology and Pathology (Degree in Dental Hygienist)
Professor of Microbiology and Virology at the Schools of Specialization in “Microbiology and Virology” (all the period) and “Infectious Diseases” (1997 – 2008), University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy.
Professor of Microbiology in the Ph.D. Course in “Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Diseases and Correlated Pathologies”, Faculty of Medicine, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy.
Lecturer at the Graduate Course in “Clinical Management of Resistance to Antiviral Drugs” University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy (2009/10).
Member of the Academic Board of the E-Learning School (Scuola IaD), University Tor Vergata, Rome Italy
Since 1995: Head of a research laboratory of Virology and Cell Biology at the Department of Experimental Medicine and Surgery, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy.
Fields of interest:
- a) Pathogenesis, diagnosis and therapy of viral Infections, with special regard to Herpesvirus infections (mainly HSV, VZV, CMV, EBV and HHV-8/KSHV)
- b) Innate and adaptive immunity
- b) Biological and clinical aspects of the host antiviral immune response
- c) Combined chemo-immunotherapy protocols in conditions of immune-suppression associated with viral infections and/or cancer.
Collaborations with national and international research groups:
– Prof. Antonio Volpi, Infectious Disease, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
– Prof. Giovanni Barillari, General Pathology, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
– Prof. Maria Gabriella Santoro, Virology, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
– Prof. Filippo Belardelli, Dept. of Oncology and Haematology, I.S.S., Rome, Italy
– Prof. Patrick Steven Moore, Division of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
– Prof. Juergen Haas, Division of Pathway Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, U.K. and Max von Pettenkofer Institut, Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München, 80336 München, Germany.
Research projects (in chronological order):
1989-1993 Project C.N.R. “Prevention and control of disease factors (FATMA)”. Sub-project 3. PI: Enrico Garaci
1992 National Research Project “Immunodiagnosis.”, funded by the Ministry of University, Scientific Research and Technology (MURST). PI: Enrico Garaci
1992- 1996 CNR Project “Clinical Applications in Cancer Research” (ACRO). Subproject 8 – Treatment of advanced solid tumors with combinations of immunomodulatory agents and chemotherapy. PI: Enrico Garaci
1996- 2009 Research Project “Chemoimmunotherapy of infections and tumors”. Funding for the Scientific Research of the University (ex-quota 60%). PI: Enrico Garaci
1997 PRIN (PROGETTI DI RICERCA DI INTERESSE NAZIONALE, Research Projects of National Interest) entitled “Apoptosis in the homeostasis and pathology associated with viral infection of the immune system.” PI: Enrico Garaci
1998 PRIN entitled “Apoptosis in the pathology associated to infection by human retroviruses and HHV-8.” PI: Enrico Garaci
1998-1999 Chief scientist of the Scientific Project: “Relationship between HHV-8, high serum levels of NGF and development of KS in HIV-infected individuals: implications for pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment ” in the 2nd National Research Program on AIDS – Subproject “Opportunistic infections and tuberculosis”
2000-2001 Chief scientist of the Scientific Project: “Relationship between HHV-8, high serum levels of NGF and development of KS in HIV- infected individuals: implications for pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment ” in the 3rd National Research Program on AIDS – Subproject “Opportunistic infections and tuberculosis”
2002-2003 Chief scientist of the Scientific Project: “Relationship between HHV-8, high serum levels of NGF and development of KS in HIV- infected individuals: implications for pathogenesis, diagnosis and Treatment “in 4th National Research Program on AIDS –Sub. “Opportunistic infections and tuberculosis”
2000 PRIN Title “Apoptosis in the etiopathogenesis of viral infections.” PI: Enrico Garaci
2002 PRIN Title “Role of apoptosis in the etiopathogenesis of viral infections.” PI: Enrico Garaci
2002- 2004 Targeted Research Project 1% Ministry of Health entitled “Strategies for immuno-therapy genotypes of HPV oncogenes and oncogenes.” PI: Paola Sinibaldi-Vallebona
2002-2004 Ministry of Health, ISPESL-DIPIA, Project “In vitro exposure to electric and electromagnetic fields, gene expression and activation of Herpesviruses”. PI: Antonio Volpi
2004-2005 Research Project “Programma Oncotecnologico” entitled “Development of new cancer therapies based on anti-retroviral drugs to HIV protease inhibitors and nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, alone or in combination: preclinical studies in vitro and in vivo”. PI: Paola Sinibaldi-Vallebona
2004 PRIN entitled “Role of apoptosis in the etiopathogenesis of some viral infections.” PI: Enrico Garaci
2005- 2007 Chief scientist of the Subproject : “Thymosin as immunomodulator in cancer therapy”, within the Project funded by The Italian Ministry of Health entitled “Development of adjuvance’s strategies in infectious diseases and chronic-degenerative diseases.”
2006 PRIN entitled “Role of apoptosis in the etiopathogenesis and therapy of some viral infections.”.Head: Prof. Enrico Garaci.
2008 PRIN entitled “Virus host cell interplay in the development of new antiviral therapies.” PI: Enrico Garaci.
2010-2011 PRIN entitled ” OMICS Technologies and Systems Biology for the definition of new strategies for the control of viral infections.” PI: Carlo Federico Perno.
OTHER SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
Since 2006 : Member of the Register of Auditors for the evaluation of programs and research products ministerial MIUR, for scientific sectors MED/07 Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology (area: 06 – Medical Sciences) and MED/17 INFECTIOUS DISEASES (area: 06 – Medical Sciences), and on the following sectors of the European Research Council (ERC):
No. 1 LS6_7 Microbiology (Life Sciences: Immunity and infection: Immunobiology, aetiology of immune disorders, microbiology, virology, parasitology, global and other infectious diseases, population dynamics of infectious diseases, veterinary medicine);
No. 2. LS6_8 Virology (Life Sciences: Immunity and infection: Immunobiology, aetiology of immune disorders, microbiology, virology, parasitology, global and other infectious diseases, population dynamics of infectious diseases, veterinary medicine);
No. 3. LS7_3 Pharmacology, Pharmacogenomics, drug discovery and design, drug therapy (Life Sciences: Diagnostic tools, therapies and public health: aetiology, diagnosis and treatment of disease, public health, epidemiology, pharmacology, clinical medicine, regenerative medicine, medical ethics).
2012, Auditor “peer” at Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR) in the evaluation of research products delivered to VQR 2004-2010.
2015 Included in REPRISE (Register of Expert Peer Reviewers for Italian Scientific Evaluation).
Francesca Pica is author or co-author of several research articles published mainly on international peer-reviewed journals, several abstracts, many of whom presented at International Scientific Meetings, and book chapters. She is a Member of the Senior Editorial Board of the American Journal of Clinical Cancer Research; a Reviewer for The Int J Immunopharmacol, Herpes Journal, Clinical Microbiology and Infection, Molecular Cancer, Plos One, BMC Cancer, Expert Opinion Biol Ther), and Associate editor of 2 books of Medical Microbiology. She attended as invited speaker in several National and International Congresses.
Total no. of products 180 –
Impact Factor 200
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- Mandaliti W, Nepravishta R, Sinibaldi Vallebona P, Pica F, Garaci E, Paci M. Thymosin α1 Interacts with Exposed Phosphatidylserine in Membrane Models and in Cells and Uses Serum Albumin as a Carrier. Biochemistry. 2016 Mar 15;55(10):1462-72.
- Mandaliti W, Nepravishta R, Sinibaldi Vallebona P, Pica F, Garaci E, Paci M. New studies about the insertion mechanism of Thymosin α1 in negative regions of model membranes as starting point of the bioactivity. Amino Acids. 2016 May;48(5):1231-9.
- Gaziano R, Moroni G, Buè MC, Miele MT, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P, Pica F (in press). Antitumor effects of the benzophenanthridine alkaloid sanguinarine: Evidence and perspectives. WORLD JOURNAL OF GASTROINTESTINAL ONCOLOGY, ISSN: 1948-5204, doi: 10.4251
- Moroni G, Gaziano R, Bue C, Agostini M, Perno CF, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P, Pica F (2015). Progesterone and Melanoma Cells: An Old Story Suspended between Life and Death. JOURNAL OF STEROIDS & HORMONAL SCIENCE, vol. 5, ISSN: 2157-7536, doi: 10.4172/2157-7536.1000158
- Garaci E, Pica F, Matteucci C, Gaziano R, D’Agostini C, Miele MT, Camerini R, Palamara AT, Favalli C, Mastino A, Serafino A, Sinibaldi Vallebona P. Historical review on thymosin α1 in oncology: preclinical and clinical experiences. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2015;15 Suppl 1:S31-9.
- Balestrieri E, Pica F, Matteucci C, Zenobi R, Sorrentino R, Argaw-Denboba A, Cipriani C, Bucci I, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P. Transcriptional activity of human endogenous retroviruses in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:164529.
- Nepravishta R, Mandaliti W, Eliseo T, Vallebona PS, Pica F, Garaci E, Paci M. Thymosin α1 inserts N terminus into model membranes assuming a helical conformation. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2015 Feb 2:1-11.
8.Pica F, Gatti A, Divizia M, Lazzari M, Ciotti M, Sabato AF, Volpi A. One-year follow-up of patients with long-lasting post-herpetic neuralgia. BMC Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;14:556.
- Griffiths SJ, Koegl M, Boutell C, Zenner HL, Crump CM, Pica F, Gonzalez O, Friedel CC, Barry G, Martin K, Craigon MH, Chen R, Kaza LN, Fossum E, Fazakerley JK, Efstathiou S, Volpi A, Zimmer R, Ghazal P, Haas J. A systematic analysis of host factors reveals a Med23-interferon-λ regulatory axis against herpes simplex virus type 1 replication. PLOS PATHOGENS 2013; 9(8):e1003514.
- Serafino A, Pica F, Andreola F, Gaziano R, Moroni N, Moroni G, Zonfrillo M, Pierimarchi P, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P, Garaci E. Thymosin α1 activates complement receptor-mediated phagocytosis in human monocyte-derived macrophages. JOURNAL OF INNATE IMMUNITY 2014;6(1):72-88. doi: 10.1159/000351587. Epub 2013 Jun 22.
- Volpi A, Pica F. “Epstein – Barr virus and CNS Infections”. In: NEUROVIRAL INFECTIONS: GENERAL PRINCIPLES & DNA VIRUSES. Edited by Sunit K. Singh and Daniel Ruzek – Vol. I – Section II – Chapter 9, p. 245-272, 2013. London:Taylor & Francis Group.
- Pica F, Balestrieri E, Serafino A, Sorrentino R, Gaziano R, Moroni G, Moroni N, Palmieri G, Mattei M, Garaci E, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P. Antitumor effects of the benzophenanthridine alkaloid sanguinarine in a rat syngeneic model of colorectal cancer. ANTI-CANCER DRUGS 2012; vol. 23, p. 32-42.
- Balestrieri E, Arpino C, Matteucci C, Sorrentino R, Pica F, Alessandrelli R, Coniglio A, Curatolo P, Rezza G, Macciardi F, Garaci E, Gaudi S, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P HERVs expression in Autism Spectrum Disorders . PLOS ONE 2012; vol. 7, p. e48831.
- Pica F, Volpi A. Public awareness and knowledge of herpes labialis. JOURNAL OF MEDICAL VIROLOGY 2012; vol. 84, p. 132-137.
- Serafino A, Pierimarchi P, Pica F, Andreola F, Gaziano R, Moroni N, Zonfrillo M, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P, Garaci E. Thymosin alpha 1 as a stimulatory agent of innate cell-mediated immune response. ANNALS OF THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES 2012; vol. 1270, p. 13-20.
- Garaci E, Pica F, Serafino A, Balestrieri E, Matteucci C, Moroni G, Sorrentino R, Zonfrillo M, Pierimarchi P, Sinibaldi- Vallebona P. Thymosin α1 and Cancer: Action on Immune Effector and Tumor Target Cells. ANNALS OF THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES 2012; vol. 1269, p. 26-33.
- Volpi A, Gatti A, Pica F. Frequency of Herpes Zoster Recurrences. MAYO CLINIC PROCEEDINGS 2011; vol. 86, p. 584-587.
- Pica F, Volpi A, Gaziano R, Garaci E. Interferon-lambda in immunocompetent individuals with a history of recurrent herpes labialis. ANTIVIRAL THERAPY 2010; vol. 15, p. 737-743.
- Gatti A, Pica F, Boccia MTJ, De Antoni F, Sabato AF, Volpi A. No evidence of family history as a risk factor for herpes zoster in patients with post-herpetic neuralgia. JOURNAL OF MEDICAL VIROLOGY 2010; vol. 82, p. 1007-1011.
- Volpi A, Pica F. Herpes simplex virus (HSV) 1 e 2 e Varicella zoster virus (VZV). In: Gruppo di Lavoro AMCLI “Infezioni Materno-Fetali” Attualità in tema di infezioni materno-fetali (seconda edizione) 2010; p. 63-89, TORINO: Editing Berrino Printer.
- Volpi A, Pica F. Herpes simplex virus (HSV)1 e 2 e Varicella zoster virus (VZV). In: Gruppo di lavoro AMCLI “Infezioni materno-fetali”. Attualità in tema di infezioni materno-fetali. 2009; p. 57-83, TORINO: Editing Berrino Printer.
- Volpi A, Gatti A, Pica F, Bellino S, Marsella LT, Sabato AF. Clinical and psychosocial correlates of post-herpetic neuralgia. JOURNAL OF MEDICAL VIROLOGY 2008; vol. 80, p. 1646-1652.
- Garaci E, Favalli C, Pica F, Sinibaldi Vallebona P, Palamara AT, Matteucci C, Pierimarchi P, Serafino A, Mastino A, Bistoni F, Romani L, Rasi G. Thymosin alpha 1: from bench to bedside. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007 Sep; 1112:225-34. Epub 2007 Jun 28.
- Pica F, Volpi A. Transmission of human herpesvirus 8: an update. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2007 Apr; 20(2):152-6. Review.
- Volpi A, Gatti A, Serafini G, Costa B, Suligoi B, Pica F, Marsella LT, Sabato E, Sabato AF. Clinical and psychosocial correlates of acute pain in herpes zoster. J Clin Virol. 2007 Apr; 38(4):275-9. Epub 2007 Mar 6.
- Pica F, Serafino A, Divizia M, Donia D, Fraschetti M, Sinibaldi-Salimei P, Giganti MG, Volpi A. Effect of extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields (ELF-EMF) on Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpes virus in BCBL-1 cells. Bioelectromagnetics. 2006 Apr; 27(3):226-32.
- Gialloreti LE, Divizia M, Pica F, Volpi A. Analysis of the cost-effectiveness of varicella vaccine programmes based on an observational survey in the Latium region of Italy. Herpes. 2005 Oct; 12(2):33-7.
- Gentile G, Capobianchi A, Volpi A, Palù G, Pica F, Calistri A, Biasolo MA, Martino P. Human herpesvirus 8 DNA in serum during seroconversion in allogeneic bone marrow transplant recipients. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Jul 6; 97(13):1008-11.
- D’Agostini C, Pica F, Febbraro G, Grelli S, Chiavaroli C, Garaci E. Antitumour effect of OM-174 and cyclophosphamide on murine B16 melanoma in different experimental conditions. Int Immunopharmacol. 2005 Jul; 5(7-8):1205-12. Epub 2005 Mar 19.
- Pica F, Serafino A, Garaci E, Volpi A. Cidofovir on HHV-8 in BCBL-1 cells. Antivir Ther. 2004 Oct; 9(5):823-5.
- Garaci E, Pica F, Sinibaldi-Vallebona P, Pierimarchi P, Mastino A, Matteucci C, Rasi G. Thymosin alpha(1) in combination with cytokines and chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer. Int Immunopharmacol. 2003 Aug; 3(8):1145-50. Review.
- Volpi A, Gentile G, Pica F, Suligoi B; Slavip study group. Antiviral treatment of varicella in pediatric practice in the Latium region of Italy: results of an observational study. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002 Aug; 21(8):739-43.
- Garaci E, Pica F, Rasi G, Favalli C. Thymosin alpha 1 in the treatment of cancer: from basic research to clinical application. Int J Immunopharmacol. 2000 Dec; 22(12):1067-76. Review.
- Pica F, Volpi A, Serafino A, Fraschetti M, Franzese O, Garaci E. Autocrine nerve growth factor is essential for cell survival and viral maturation in HHV-8-infected primary effusion lymphoma cells. Blood. 2000 May 1; 95(9):2905-12.
- Pica F, Palamara AT, Rossi A, De Marco A, Amici C, Santoro MG. Delta(12)-prostaglandin J(2) is a potent inhibitor of influenza A virus replication. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000 Jan; 44(1):200-4.
- Volpi A, Pica F, Gentile G, Capobianchi A, Fraschetti M, Martino P. Neutralizing antibody response against human cytomegalovirus in allogeneic bone marrow-transplant recipients. J Infect Dis. 1999 Nov; 180(5):1747-8.
- Pica F, Fraschetti M, Matteucci C, Tuthill C, Rasi G. High doses of thymosin alpha 1 enhance the anti-tumor efficacy of combination chemo-immunotherapy for murine B16 melanoma. Anticancer Res. 1998 Sep-Oct; 18(5A):3571-8.
- Pica F, Volpi A, Barillari G, Fraschetti M, Franzese O, Vullo V, Garaci E. Detection of high nerve growth factor serum levels in AIDS-related and -unrelated Kaposi’s sarcoma patients. AIDS. 1998 Oct 22; 12(15):2025-9.
- Garaci E, Pica F, Rasi G, Palamara AT, Favalli C. Combination therapy with BRMs in cancer and infectious diseases. Mech Ageing Dev. 1997 Jun; 96(1-3):103-16. Review.
- Pica F, Franzese O, D’Onofrio C, Bonmassar E, Favalli C, Garaci E. Prostaglandin E2 induces apoptosis in resting immature and mature human lymphocytes: a c-Myc-dependent and Bcl-2-independent associated pathway. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1996 Jun; 277(3):1793-800.
- Pica F, Rossi A, Santirocco N, Palamara A, Garaci E, Santoro MG. Effect of combined alpha IFN and prostaglandin A1 treatment on vesicular stomatitis virus replication and heat shock protein synthesis in epithelial cells. Antiviral Res. 1996 Mar; 29(2-3):187-98.
- Conti C, Mastromarino P, Tomao P, De Marco A, Pica F, Santoro MG. Inhibition of poliovirus replication by prostaglandins A and J in human cells. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996 Feb; 40(2):367-72.
- Pica F, Franzese O, D’Onofrio C, Paganini L, Favalli C, Bonmassar E, Garaci E. Effect of PGE2 on c-Myc and Bcl-2 production and programmed cell death in human lymphocytes. Adv Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukot Res. 1995; 23:457-9.
- Mastromarino P, Conti C, Petruzziello R, De Marco A, Pica F, Santoro MG. Inhibition of Sindbis virus replication by cyclopentenone prostaglandins: a cell-mediated event associated with heat-shock protein synthesis. Antiviral Res. 1993 Mar; 20(3):209-22.
- Pica F, De Marco A, De Cesare F, Santoro MG. Inhibition of vesicular stomatitis virus replication by delta 12-prostaglandin J2 is regulated at two separate levels and is associated with induction of stress protein synthesis. Antiviral Res. 1993 Mar; 20(3):193-208.
- Di Francesco P, Gaziano R, Pica F, Palamara AT, Innocenti F, Favalli C. In vitro phencyclidine-induced inhibition of lymphocyte proliferation: prevention by cell activation. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 1993 Jan; 15(1):69-78.
- Garaci E, Pica F, Mastino A, Palamara AT, Belardelli F, Favalli C. Antitumor effect of thymosin alpha 1/interleukin-2 or thymosin alpha 1/interferon alpha,beta following cyclophosphamide in mice injected with highly metastatic Friend erythroleukemia cells. J Immunother Emphasis Tumor Immunol. 1993 Jan; 13(1):7-17.
- Mastino A, Favalli C, Grelli S, Rasi G, Pica F, Goldstein AL, Garaci E. Combination therapy with thymosin alpha 1 potentiates the anti-tumor activity of interleukin-2 with cyclophosphamide in the treatment of the Lewis lung carcinoma in mice. Int J Cancer. 1992 Feb 1; 50(3):493-9.
- Di Francesco P, Marini S, Pica F, Favalli C, Tubaro E, Garaci E. In vivo cocaine administration influences lymphokine production and humoral immune response. Immunol Res. 1992;11(1):74-9.
- Di Francesco P, Pica F, Marini S, Favalli C, Garaci E. Thymosin alpha one restores murine T-cell-mediated responses inhibited by in vivo cocaine administration. Int J Immunopharmacol. 1992 Jan; 14(1):1-9.
- Pica F, De Cesare F, Amici C, Garaci E, Santoro MG. Antiviral activity of cyclopentenone prostaglandins: Block of virus protein synthesis and induction of stress proteins in polarized monkey kidney cells. Cytotechnology. 1991 Feb;5(Suppl 1):28-9. doi: 10.1007/BF00736801
- Di Francesco P, Pica F, Favalli C, Tubaro E, Garaci E. Inhibition of rat fibroblast cell proliferation at specific cell cycle stages by cocaine. Cell Biol Int Rep. 1990 Jun; 14(6):549-58.
- Garaci E, Mastino A, Pica F, Favalli C. Combination treatment using thymosin alpha 1 and interferon after cyclophosphamide is able to cure Lewis lung carcinoma in mice. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 1990;32(3):154-60.
- Di Francesco P, Pica F, Croce C, Favalli C, Tubaro E, Garaci E. Effect of acute or daily cocaine administration on cellular immune response and virus infection in mice. Nat Immun Cell Growth Regul. 1990; 9(6):397-405.
- Pica F, Mastino A, Grelli S, Jezzi T, Favalli C. Combined treatment with thymosin alpha 1 and interferon enhances NK activity in immunosuppressed tumor bearing mice. J Chemother. 1989 Jul; 1(4 Suppl):1167-9.
- Mastino A, Favalli C, Jezzi T, Grelli S, Pica F, Garaci E. Modifications in spleen lymphocyte subsets after cyclophosphamide and 16,16-dimethyl prostaglandin E2 administration in mice. J Chemother. 1989 Jul; 1(4 Suppl):454-6.
- Volpi A, Pica F, Cauletti M, Panà A, Rocchi G. Cytomegalovirus infection in day care centers in Rome, Italy: viral excretion in children and occupational risk among workers. J Med Virol. 1988 Oct; 26(2):119-25.